Hardness: 6 – 6.5
Chakra: Solar Plexus
Found: All over the world, with significant concentrations in Italy, Spain and Peru
Pyrite is an iron sulfide mineral who’s crystal pattern is usually cubic. It is found all over the world and derives its name from the Greek word for fire because if you strike two pieces against one another it can produce a spark. The Incas used it as mirrors. The Chinese believed that Pyrite could protect you from crocodiles. The Native Americans believed that gazing into it would enable you to see into a person’s soul.
Pyrite works directly with the solar plexus chakra. It is considered to carry male energy. Assists in bringing harmony when working with others. Caregivers should use its energies for protection from harmful disease and germs associated with their work. Great for grounding after meditation. May increase physical stamina. Use this stone for manifestation work and prosperity magic.
Drawing energy from the Earth through the physical body and into the aura, pyrite creates a defensive shield against negative energies, emotional attack, environmental pollutants and physical harm. Carries powerful solar/male energies supporting one with a spirit of boldness and assertive action.
It can be a helpful tool for balancing polarities and creating harmony within the auric field. In meditation, holding a piece in both hands can bring an instant re-balancing. It is excellent for use in manifestation, as it helps one take action on one’s ideas or concepts.
Pyrite stimulates creativity in art, mathematics, sculpture, architecture, science, and many other disciplines. It feeds the qualities of ambition, commitment, and persistence. It increases mental clarity and focus, and is an ideal stone for students.
Pyrite possesses a defending quality and is an excellent preventive which will shield one from many forms of negative energy. Carrying or wearing pyrite provides protection and shielding to one’s physical, Etheric, and emotional bodies. It can help to keep out the negative vibrations of pollutants at the physical level, due to an energy field which it creates within the aura.
- Cleanse and re-charge pyrite in the sunlight
- At the workplace, it encourages leadership qualities and is an ally for those working towards promotion.
- Inspires creativity in art, mathematics, science and other disciplines that recognize the inherent perfection and harmonious symmetry of nature and the universe.
- Excellent stone for grids and ritual as it draws higher frequency energies down into physical and supports action in creating abundance.
- Holding a piece in each hand while meditating aids to balance and refresh your energy levels.
- Hole one when you can’t take a nap, hold a Pyrite; Pyrite provides a refreshing ‘Burst of Energy’
- Pyrite helps to keep away all forms of negative vibrations and can work to allay physical danger.
- Pyrite can assist one in seeing behind facades.
- The resemblance of pyrite to gold has made it a traditional symbol for money and good luck.
- The name comes from the Greek word meaning “a stone which strikes fire”.
- Pyrite Suns are delightful pyrite pieces that contain golden rays in the shape of a rising sun! Pyrite suns were once thought to be fossilized sand dollars or lily pads and are believed to be pyrite crystals formed between layers of slate and coal that simply had no room to grow in the traditional cubes that one normally finds pyrite. Formed 350 million years ago deep in the coal mines of Illinois, USA, each is unique!
- A spark can be created by striking two pieces of pyrite together.
- Helps to see behind the facades and understand what lies beneath.
Feeds ambition, willpower & perseverance; confidence. Provides burst of energy. Shields the physical, Etheric & emotional bodies. Strengthens the auric field. Increases mental clarity & focus.