Hardness: 5 – 7
Zodiac: Aries, Taurus, Capricorn and Libra
Chakra: All, especially Third Eye, Heart and Throat
Found: Brazil, South Africa, Switzerland, Burma, Kenya Mexico and the USA
Kyanite was once called “Disthene,” which means “two strengths.” It cleaves perfectly, and with two different levels of hardness on its perpendicular axes, making it an anisotropic crystal. The hardness across is roughly a 7, and along the prism is about a 5, meaning it can be scratched with a knife along the latter. The cleavage pattern makes Kyanite a brittle stone, and allows for beautiful blades and feather-like formations. Significant deposits have been found in Kenya, Madagascar, Mozambique, and in the state of Montana.
Kyanite is commonly found in mountainous areas because it was formed in high pressure rocks created by the collision of continents.
Metaphysical & Spiritual History
Metaphysically, Kyanite is similar to Citrine in that it does not accumulate or retain negative energies – it is a self-healing stone, and therefore never needs to be cleansed, and can be used to clear other stones (this is true of Selenite as well). This trait carries that vibration throughout our own energy zones, as it aligns and balances the chakras, allowing for a clear flow of energy. When the chakras are balanced and open, you gain the freedom to speak freely and live unapologetically. You are tapped into the Divine, grounding that Light and wisdom down into the roots of your being.
Kyanite can aid and intensify your meditation practices, and heighten both mental and psychic abilities. This powerful stone can activate the mind centers allowing energies to flow deep within them, linking the physical, astral and causal bodies, making it an exceptional stone for lucid dreaming, and dream recall, while encouraging calm and tranquility. It can also make telepathic communication between two people clearer.
Because of the way it bridges and heals our energetic connections, Kyanite can be extremely helpful to romantic relationships in disharmonious situations. It bridges the gaps in communication between partners, connecting them on a deeper level. It also teaches the importance of loyalty and that all relationships are flawed, allowing you to appreciate and accept your partner and relationship for what it truly is.
- Some say that the blade of Archangel Michael’s sword is made of KyaniteKyanite is known as “the stone of truth” and can reveal when someone is being dishonest or withholding information.
- It also allows one to live a more honest life and to speak and own their truth without fear of others opinions.
- When used in a crystal wand, Kyanite can eliminate any blockages that are in your body allowing proper blood circulationKyanite grounds and energizes the physical body and encourages one to discover new interests or learn new skills that may help to accomplish their goals.
- The name Kyanite was adopted by a German mineralogist, because of the stone’s blue coloring.
- It derives from the Greek word Kuanos/Kyanos, meaning ‘deep blue.’Medieval physicians prescribed powdered kyanite to alleviate sinus problems and muscular pain.
Works Well With
Kyanite harmonizes with all other Kyanites; combined with Green Kyanite, it can harness regenerative, self-healing energies. Green Kyanite helps Blue to keep higher intuitive connections heart-centered. Combined with Orange Kyanite links divine intuition with one’s Will, and may help one meditate on one’s Soul Purpose. Working with Black Kyanite, considered a gentle yet powerful Shamanic stone, one can dive deep into journeying, connecting with messages from the divine and grounding that wisdom for profound expansion and healing.
Quartz is known in the mineral kingdom as the most versatile and multidimensional mineral. Unlike most other stones, it is able to be programmed with a focused intention that is capable of achieving virtually any goal. It will then amplify that intention out into the world.
The properties of energy amplification and memory make Quartz an excellent stone for healing, meditation, communication with guides, past-life recall or essentially any purpose programmed into it. Quartz produces healing, negative ions that clear the surroundings of positive ions, protecting the auric field.
Being a stone of adaptable properties, it is able to amplify the energies of any other stone that surrounds it, making it the ideal stone for grid work. It is a great stone to assist one in overcoming confusion and can bring clarity of thought and purpose to the mind.
- Carrying Clear Quartz on your person or even touching it when needed, can give you an instant boost.
- Sleeping with Clear Quartz can make ones dreams more vivid and can assist in deepening meditation.
- Can be used for any metaphysical purpose so long as it is programmed with focused intent.
- Can collect a significant amount of psychic debris over time and should be cleared regularly with saltwater, charge it with moonlight, sunlight and/or copper.
- Quartz is a stone that is known for its ability to heighten one’s spiritual awareness which grants it the name “The Stone of Light.”
- Clear Quartz can display the entire color spectrum when exposed to the sunlight showing flashes of the rainbow; it was believed to harness the power of the sun as a source of solar refraction.
Works Well With…
Clear Quartz can be combined with virtually any crystal for a positive effect. You must first focus on the part of yourself either physically or mentally, or your environment that you wish to heal and then find a crystal that most fits your intention, combining it with Quartz crystal to amplify those energies. For example, when using Quartz with Black Tourmaline, it will boost its protective properties making it an extremely powerful defense against negative or harmful energies.