Support the community – recycle your old books!
We have shelves and shelves of fabulous used books – all donated by our wonderful customers. We take book donations to add to our Used Book section, and all proceeds of their sales are donated each quarter to a different local Hudson Valley charity.
We have been collecting books & donating their proceeds to charity since 2012. At the Dreaming Goddess, we strive to find ways to give back to our community. Through your help in part of our giveback program, we have been able to donate over $19,000 to various local Hudson Valley charities – Thank you!
Remember us the next time you sort through your books
***Reuse – Recycle – Reduce***
We gladly accept donations, anytime during business hours, of your good condition used books relating to the spiritual, metaphysical, tarot and oracle decks, occult, science, art… our selection is so wonderfully diverse these days.
As books are being donated all the time, it’s best to stop by often to check out the selection – you never know what you’ll find!
Current Charities being supported at the DG
2nd Quarter: Current used book proceeds are being donated to Hudson Valley Seed an organization that educates children in school gardens, empowering students through curriculum-integrated lessons focused on healthy eating, food literacy, outdoor learning, and academic success.
1st Quarter 2018: $392 – The Children’s Home of Poughkeepsie, an organization dedicated to providing a safe and nurturing environment that improves the lives and empowers at-risk children and families in the Hudson Valley and surrounding communities. The philosophy of The Children’s Home starts with the belief that all children have a right to a protective, nurturing environment. They provide therapeutic services, parenting education and counseling, residential care, and work with the goal of returning children to the community.
In 2017, we contributed over $2,250 from the sale of our used books and other events to:
- $500 – Sparrow’s Nest of the Hudson Valley.
- $75 – “Protect the Hudson” project by Clearwater through sale of Riverkeeper statuettes.
- $380 – Literacy Connections of the Hudson Valley, devoted to providing basic literacy education for adults.
- $470 – Hope On A Mission, a street ministry serving homeless and addicted women of Poughkeepsie.
- $450 – NAMI, The National Alliance on Mental Illness Mid-Hudson, the nation’s largest grass-roots mental health organization dedicated to building better lives for millions of Americans affected by mental illnesses and their loved ones.
- $300 – Hospice End of Life Doula program, monies collected at our public ritual for Samhain.
- The continued yearly upkeep of a Propur water filtration system for Maestra Martina Mamani of the Quechua Nation Raqchi, for the sacred temple Centro de Sanación Siwar Qoyllur (Hummingbird Healing Center) in Raqchi that she guards and teaches from. This system provides safe, clean drinking water, free from harmful chemicals and bacteria, allowing individuals to obtain water from any source and enable it to become potable.
In 2016, we contributed over $8,500 from the sale of our used books and other events to:
- The purchase and continued yearly upkeep of a Propur water filtration system for Maestra Martina Mamani of the Quechua Nation Raqchi, for the sacred temple Centro de Sanación Siwar Qoyllur (Hummingbird Healing Center) in Raqchi that she guards and teaches from. This system will provide safe, clean drinking water, free from harmful chemicals and bacteria, allowing individuals to obtain water from any source and enable it to become potable.
- This November, in the course of a mere 36 hours, our community made it possible that we could donate $6,750 for Standing Rock, in addition to a variety of necessities for the Water Protectors standing up against #NoDAPL.
- $458 – Hudson Valley Hospice Foundation
- $456 – Breast Cancer Fund, which focuses on exposing & eliminating the environmental causes of breast cancer.
- $563 – VA Adaptive Sports program from the VA Hudson Valley Health Care System at Castle Point. This organization help provide support, equipment and lessons to disabled Veterans.
- $40 – Peach Hill Park
- $35 – Rice Bowls – providing much needed meals to children around the world through partnerships with orphanages.
In 2015, we contributed over $1,039 through the sale of our used books and other events to:
- $192 – Healthy Families of Dutchess County – Provides free, voluntary services to support pregnant and parenting families through activities & education.
- $472 – Hudson Valley chapter of JDRF – supporting research, cures, services & resources for those affected by Type 1 Diabetes.
- $200 – FarmOn! Foundation – creates and funds youth educational programming to instill awareness, respect, and inspiration for sustainable farming, nutritional education, and community connections. Their current project is building a community center & working farm in the Hudson Valley dedicated to educating the next generation of sustainable farming, and educated food choices.
- $100 – Rice Bowls – providing much needed meals to children around the world through partnerships with orphanages.
- $50 – St Jude Children’s Research Hospital
- $25 – Arts Mid Hudson
In 2014 we contributed $1,838 through the sale of our used books and other events:
- $400 – The Living Well Program, which supports survivors of domestic violence, and during the course of the 16 week program the Dreaming Goddesses also prepared & served a meal for the participants & mentors.
- $583 – Sparrows Nest, which prepares and delivers homemade trays of food to the families of moms with cancer in parts of the Hudson Valley.
- $250 – TMI Project, which offers transformative memoir workshops and performances that empower people to move beyond their limiting stories.
- $477 – Miles for Hope, fostering community, commitment, resources & services to support those affected by breast cancer.
- $128 – Rice Bowls – providing meals to children around the world through partnerships with orphanages. This is a program we continue to support throughout the year in addition to our quarterly donations.
In 2013 we contributed $2,180 through the sale of our used books and other events:
- $337 – Miles for Hope. $70 of which was raised by selling “flying wishes” at the Arlington Street Fair.
- $100 – Peach Hill Park. We hiked Peach Hill for a Full Moon Gathering and the collection basket was donated.
- $520 – Project Helping Hands, in support of a local nurse, Devon Jameson, attending a medical trip in Peru. Not only did we donate funds but collected supplies for distribution.
- $335 – The Hairdresser’s Ball, an annual fundraising event for Hudson Valley Community Services, (formerly ARCS).
- $280 – Pougkeepsie Day Nursery, on Clover St.
- $715 – Shaping Empowered Teens, a program offered through the Poughkeepsie High School.
From the sale of used book in 2012 we collected $2,400.
The charities who benefited from your generosity were the SPCA, Go Red for Women, The Children’s Home of Poughkeepsie, Abilities First, The Kiwanis Club, High Valley Retreat Center, The Samaritan House for Women Vets, and a family directly affected by Hurricane Sandy.